This video accompanies the “Introduction to Human Resource Risk“video for the human resource pillar in the “5 Pillars of Risk Management” series. Watch Reg Shandro explain the sources of human resource risk and what you can do to minimize them on your farm operation.
5 Sources of Human Resource Risk on Your Farm Operation
Communication: The lack of effective communication in your farm business is a huge hurdle to formalize. If you don’t communicate properly, your perspectives aren’t going to be shared.
2. Conflict management: This is a sensitive point for farm families, but if you don’t seek out the necessary professionals or tools required to minimize conflict, you’re going to have a major issue.
3. Time management: Studies show that if you work more than 3000 hours a year, eventually something will crack. Make sure you are managing your time on, and off of farm, properly!
4. Take time off for holidays: each family member should take 2 weeks of per year!
5. A formal human resources plan: You need to have a formal HR plan that is implemented and reviewed. The reason for this is it makes goal setting a lot easier, and stats show that if you have goals written down you will make 9 times the wealth, compared with people who don’t.
For further notes, please refer to the following resources:
7. How to Set Goals for Your Company and Improve the Bottom Line
This workshop was funded in part by the Agriculture & Food Council of Alberta