5 Cool Facts About Women In Agriculture
I have always been proud to be a woman in farming, but these 5 facts about women in agriculture make me even prouder!
- Giving women farmers more resources could bring the number of hungry people in the world down by 100 – 150 million people.
- In developing countries, 79% of economically active women spend their working hours producing food, working in agriculture. Women are 43% of the farming work force.
- Between 2002 and 2007 the number of women farm operators grew 30 percent in the US. We’re the fastest growing segment of farmers.
- Women farmers produce more than 50 percent of the food grown worldwide.
- Nearly half of farms operated by women specialized in grazing livestock.